Assignment: Philosophy of Nursing
What is your philosophy when it comes to nursing? Which aspects of your philosophy do you think reflect the philosophical influences that have shaped the profession and are likely shared by other nurses? Which aspects of your philosophy reflect your personal values, beliefs, experiences, and unique perspective? How is your philosophy demonstrated through your practice?
This Assignment provides an opportunity for you to examine your philosophy of nursing within the context of the information presented this week.
- Review the information presented in the Learning Resources with your own philosophy of nursing in mind. Focus on any new insights you gained from the readings and how they influence your philosophy.
- Reflect on how philosophy influences scientific approaches or knowledge development in nursing.
- Examine how positivism and post-positivism have influenced approaches to nursing science (including research methods) and nursing practice. Conduct additional research as necessary using credible websites and the Walden library.
By Thursday 06/08/17, write a 6- to 7-page APA paper with a minimum of 5 references from the list of required readings below that include the level one headings as numbered below:
1) Introduction (must end with a purpose statement e.g. “the purpose of this paper is…”)
2) Articulates your philosophy of nursing identifying the philosophical influences and summarizing how this week’s readings influenced your views/beliefs.
3) Explains how nursing’s philosophical foundations influence your nursing practice and provides at least two specific examples.
4) Answers the question: What is the relationship between philosophy and knowledge development? How is this evidenced in your nursing philosophy or practice?
5) Outlines how positivism and post-positivism influences approaches to nursing science (including research methods) and nursing practice as well as your own personal philosophy.
6) Conclusion (Summary of the paper)
Your written assignments must follow APA guidelines. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from appropriate Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association to ensure that your in-text citations and reference list are correct.
McEwin, M., & Wills, E.M. (2014). Theoretical basis for nursing. (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health.
Chapter 1, “Philosophy, Science, and Nursing”
Chapter 1 introduces the scientific and philosophical foundations of nursing and how these contribute to knowledge development within the discipline of nursing.
Gray, J.R., Grove, S.K., & Sutherland, S. (2017). Burns and Grove’s the practice of nursing research: Appraisal, synthesis, and generation of evidence (8th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders Elsevier.
Chapter 1, “Discovering the World of Nursing Research”
Chapter 1 introduces nursing research and discusses how science, theory, and philosophy all influence research.
Chapter 2, “Evolution of Research in Building Evidence-Based Nursing Practice”
Chapter 2 reviews the history of nursing research beginning with the work of Florence Nightingale and examines the influence of nursing research today on evidence-based practice.
Moran, K., Burson, R., & Conrad, D. (2017). The doctor of nursing practice scholarly project: A framework for success (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
Chapter 1, “Setting the Stage for the Doctor of Nursing Practice Scholarly Project”
Chapter 5, “The phenomenon of Interest”
Chapter 6, “Developing the Scholarly Project”
Isaacs, S., Ploeg, J., & Tompkins C. (2009). How can Rorty help nursing science in the development of a philosophical ‘foundation’? Nursing Philosophy, 10(2), 81-90. doi:10.1111/j.1466-769X.2008.00364.x
Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases.
This article discusses the application of the Richard Rorty’s pragmatic philosophy to nursing practices and research.