Benchmarking is described as “the process of collecting and analyzing data to identify trends in performance, and, when compared with other collectors of the same data, identifying best performers” (Youngberg, 2011, p. 24).
Consider the possibility of yourself in a new role as a risk manager. Research risk management topics in the Capella Library or other reputable online sources. Develop your own description of critical success factors for the establishment of a systems-based risk management program. This program must involve interpretation of performance data.
In your initial post to this discussion, include the following:
- Your own description of critical success factors for the establishment of a systems-based risk management program.
- The types of benchmarking data that are important to consider.
- Roles within your organization that need to be involved in the proactive risk management program.
- A short 3–5 sentence summary, with references, regarding considerations or caution in interpretation of internal and external benchmarking data.
An outline format is acceptable for your initial post as long as at least one in-text APA reference is included, along with an accompanying, congruent APA-formatted reference. Posts should be based upon peer-reviewed, evidence-based literature; these sources do not include those in the courseroom.
Youngberg, B. J. (2011). Principles of risk management and patient safety. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
Industry Requirements and the Quest for Excellence
The foundation upon which excellence is delivered within health care includes legal, regulatory, and industry standards, as well as performance measurement and quality improvement. Research one of the Web sites introduced in the study activity for this unit. They are also linked in the Resources for your convenience.
In your initial post for this discussion:
- Describe the material you found in your research that relates to legal, regulatory, industry, or quality content.
- Share two or three new insights or resources that describe how to meet a basic legal requirement versus how to strive for excellence.
Initial posts should be based upon peer-reviewed, evidence-based literature. A minimum of one outside, peer-reviewed or quality-related Web site is required for this post; this source is not limited to those in our courseroom. In your initial post, include APA-formatted in-text citations and accompanying, congruent APA-formatted references.