Question 2: Monumental Architecture
The cultures we studied this week produced grand architectural structures. Carefully examine the following structures, and read about each one in your textbook, course and video lectures, and through reliable internet resources:
Nanna Ziggurat, Ur, c. 2100-2050 BCE
Great Pyramids, Giza, c. 2601-2515 BCE
Lion Gate, Mycenae, c. 1250 BCE
Then, in a minimum of 3 well-developed paragraphs, answer the following questions about each structure:
- Who created each structure? Who commissioned its creation?
- What was the function of the structure?
- What historical events or social or cultural influences affected the creation of each structure?
- How do the visual characteristics of each structure contribute to or enhance its message or meaning?
- How do the reasons these structures were created compare with those of a more modern example of monumental art work, such as Mount Rushmore, the 9/11 Memorial, etc.?
Be sure to provide citations for any outside sources you reference in this part of your response.
Respond to both questions as thoroughly as possible, making sure to use information from this week’s readings, lectures, and additional resources. All responses should be in complete sentence form, using proper spelling and grammar.
As soon as possible, review and comment on the work of two of your peers. In your comments, consider areas you would suggest for expansion or clarification.