Leadership and Management Assignment
Read the following article:
Abdulaziz, A. (2013). Leadership of healthcare professionals: Where do we stand? Oman Medical Journal, 28(4), 285-287. doi: 10.5001/omj.2013.79
For this assignment, you will identify an area of health care (i.e., long-term care, facility operations, finance, health care insurance, etc.) you find particularly interesting. Locate a health care leader (supervisor, manager, director, etc.) that is currently working in your selected area of health care. You are to conduct an interview with your chosen leader. Your interview can either be by phone or an in-person interview. You are to compose a list of 8-10 questions to ask the interviewee. Your questions should be directly related to this module’s readings and should not be closed-end questions (requiring more than a yes or no response). See example questions below:
- What is your leadership style and how do you apply it in your everyday activities?
- What are some leadership qualities that are needed in today’s health care environment?
- How do you balance power and authority as a leader?
You are to complete a voice-recorded, narrated 12- to 15-slide PowerPoint (PPT) presentation covering the following:
- Name of leader interviewed, years in the health care industry, education, and management experience.
- Provide a brief discussion of his/her role and a brief description of the health care program/department managed, and the organization itself.
- Summary of questions asked and responses.
- Identify both leadership and management characteristics of your interviewee.
- Explain how you will apply what you learned in your interview in your career as a health care leader.
(Note: One resource that you can use to find a health care professional to interview is LinkedIn.com. For assistance with creating a PPT with a voiceover see the following two (2) sources: (1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uk4CU7uobM (2) https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Record-a-slide-show-with-narration-and-slide-timings-0b9502c6-5f6c-40ae-b1e7-e47d8741161c)
SLP ASSIGNMENT EXPECTATIONS
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to justify/support the importance to questions asked and information presented in PPT.
- Support your SLP with peer-reviewed articles, using at least 2 references. Use the following source for additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals: http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/peerrev.php.
- You may use the following source to assist in formatting your assignment: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/.
Abdulaziz, A. (2013). Leadership of healthcare professionals: Where do we stand? Oman Medical Journal, 28(4), 285-287. doi: 10.5001/omj.2013.79 Johnson, L. K. (2008). Exerting influence without authority. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2008/02/exerting-influence-without-aut.html Kumar, R. D. C. & Khiljee, N. (2016). Leadership in healthcare. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, 17(1), 63-65. doi:10.1016/j.mpaic.2015.10.012 Ladyshewsky, R. K. (2010). The manager as coach as a driver of organizational development. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 31(4), 292-306. doi: 10.1108/01437731011043320 Maner, J. K. & Case, C. R. (2013). The essential tension between leadership and power: Why power corrupts – and how to prevent it. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/science/about/psa/2013/10/leadership-power.aspx Olivo, T. (2014). The profile of an effective healthcare leader.Retrieved from http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/hospital-management-administration/the-profile-of-an-effective-healthcare-leader.html Stefl, M. E. (2008). Common competencies for all healthcare managers: The healthcare leadership alliance model. Journal of Healthcare Management, 53(6), 360-374.