Not an essay, this is two discussions, Thank-you!
#1 Examples of Effect Sizes and Confidence Intervals in Research (250-350 words)
Locate an example of a research study that uses effect sizes and confidence intervals in its analysis. Explain what these have allowed the researchers to accomplish and/or conclude in the study.
#2 Effect Sizes and Confidence Intervals (300-400 words)
Based on the quotes below, along with this week’s assigned readings and Instructor Guidance, discuss the importance of effect sizes and confidence intervals in research. Briefly pick one quote to decipher!
For this discussion, begin by reviewing the techniques of effect sizes and confidence intervals in your textbook. Then, keeping these techniques in mind, read the following quotes:
- “Statistics are no substitute for judgment.”—Henry Clay
- “To not look at the data is foolish, but to look at the data as having all the answers is even more foolish. It is a collision of new-school statistics and statisticians against old-school managers, coaches, and instructors. Neither side is right, neither is wrong; there is so much to be gained from listening to both sides.”—Tim Kurkjian, I’m Fascinated by Sacrifice Flies: Inside the Game We All Love (2016)
- “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”—Mark Twain
- “Good statistical inference never strays very far from the data.”—Brian S. Yandell (2007)
- “An approximate answer to the right problem is worth a good deal more than an exact answer to an approximate problem.”—John Tukey