Application 3: Becoming a Leader in the Translation of Evidence to Practice
Reflect on your growth, professionally and personally, since you embarked on your DNP journey. The AACN believes that one of the benefits of a practice doctorate is that it enhances your leadership skills to “strengthen practice and health care delivery” (2006, p. 5). As you continue to engage in your practicum experience, be cognizant of your growth in these areas.
In Week 6, you were asked to reflect on your leadership skills for this Assignment. This week, you continue your reflection on leadership and how you can lead the translation of evidence to practice through contribution to policy development.
Prepare for this week’s section of Application 3 as follows:
- Building on the work you began in Week 6 for this Application, review this week’s Discussion posting, and consider how you can lead policy development to address your EBP Project issue.
Write a 2- to 3-page paper in APA format with a minimum of 5 scholarly references less than 5 years old that synthesizes (DO NOT GO OVER THREE PAGES):
- Your vision of yourself as a leader—specifically:
1) How you would continue to increase your knowledge and awareness of financial, economic, and other concerns related to new practice approaches (see week 6 discussion attached you did for me, except focus on the critics the professor added for me [see bold and underlined professor critique below] which you failed to include in this discussion
2) How translating evidence would enable you to affect or strengthen health care delivery and nursing practice
3) How you would advocate for the use of new evidence-based practice approaches through the policy arena (see week 7 discussion attached you did for me)
Professor Critics in week 6 on the cost and financial impact of the implementation of the project
Dear student: Thank you for your contribution to this week’s discussion. You brought forward potential costs associated with increased mobilization of ICU patients….namely the need for more nurse time. Do you have some hard numbers you can provide on the potential cost of this? Do you have any local or national information on the cost of not mobilizing the patients (longer stays, increased infection, readmission)? Calculating approximate cost associated with the practice change versus the cost of not changing is important. This will help stakeholders see the value in the investment.
White, K. M., Dudley-Brown, S., & Terharr, M. F. (2016). Translation of evidence into nursing and health care practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer.
- Chapter 6, “Translation of Evidence for Leadership”
Balakas, K., Sparks, L., Steurer, L., & Bryant, T. (2013). An outcome of evidence-based practiced education: Sustained clinical decision-making among bedside nurses. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 28, 479-485.
Brown, D.S. (2012). Interview with quality leaders: Dr. Donna E. Shalala and Dr. Linda Burnes Bolton on the committee on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation initiative on the future of nursing at the Institute of Medicine. Journal for Healthcare Quality, 24(4), 40-44.
Brandt, B., Lutfiyya, M.N., King, J.A., & Chioresco, C. ( 2014). A scoping review of interprofessional collaborative practice and education using the lens of the Triple Aim. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 28(5), 393-399.