The implications of law weigh heavily on the shoulders of healthcare leaders. To lead, protect, and advance an organization, leaders must fully understand the existing and pending regulatory environment that may alter operational practices within their organization and industry. Healthcare leaders must exhibit sensitivity to the ethical issues involved in healthcare management, as well as to the legal challenges reflected in the areas of tort law, contracts, negligence, and malpractice. In addition to understanding the implications of these areas, healthcare leaders must also recognize what situations and contributing factors in their organizations lend themselves to potential liabilities and ethical compromises.
To prepare for this Discussion, carefully analyze the liability and ethical factors reported in the Glanz and Armendariz (2017, March 9) article. The authors of this article presented a case study of the “complex and often countervailing forces” that characterize healthcare research and practice. The legal context and examples provided by Pozgar in Chapter 6 of the seminar text will assist your analysis of the case study. Both are included in your Required Resources for this week.
The case provides descriptions of the myriad of players and their complex, and often conflicting, interests, including the following:
- Academic institutions and their internal review processes, particularly for rain-maker professors
- Pharmaceutical labs and their relationships to the researchers
- External reviewers, including academic peer reviewers, critics, and reporters
- Federal agencies awarding grants for scientific research and their oversight of those grants
- Federal regulatory agencies such as the Office of Federal Integrity
- Ethical standards and potential public conflicts in serving in industry advisory boards
BY DAY 3
Post an analysis of the legal, regulatory, and ethical environments discussed in the case study for two of the areas in the above list. In your analysis, do the following:
- Identify the two areas you selected, and analyze the legal, regulatory, and ethical concepts and conflicts that seem most relevant to that environment.
- Discuss the major challenges you see in complying with the legal, regulatory, and ethical standard for conducting business within this environment.
- Describe how the involved organizations could have been more proactive in ensuring compliance within their respective areas of jurisdiction.
- Share the lessons you have learned from analyzing this case that you can apply to your business experiences and environments.
- Suggest recommendations for additional research and oversight that should be done to ensure these legal, regulatory, and ethical standards accomplish the purpose for which they are intended.
Be sure to support your work with a minimum of two specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and one or more additional journals or other relevant professional resources to support your analysis.
analysis not to exceed 2 A4 pages
Note; the article to be analysed is attached