Before beginning political advocacy, one must identify a problem that needs to be addressed through health care policy. Sometimes, political advocacy is needed when established health care policies are not adequate for solving a problem, or when the legislation creates new problems. This assignment is the first in a three-part project.
The purpose of this three-part project is to guide you through the process of selecting a problem, identifying evidence-based solutions, and designing a political advocacy plan to address the problem with those solutions.
In this first assignment, you will select a consumer challenge related to equity, access, affordability, and/or social justice in health care, and you will analyze how existing policies address this challenge. Completion of this assignment will demonstrate your achievement of the following course outcome:
6. analyze the impact of sociocultural, economic, and environmental influences on health care policies to understand consumer challenges related to equity, access, affordability, and social justice in health care
- Identify a nursing or health care issue that relates to a current health policy or political issue pertaining to equity, access, affordability, and/or social justice in health care.
- In a 3–4-page paper, complete the following:
- Identify the problem, noting its relationship to equity, access, affordability, and/or social justice in health care.
- Describe the population most affected by this problem, noting whether this is a vulnerable population.
- Describe health care and health disparities that may be related to this problem and population.
- Summarize legislation and/or political activities that relate to the identified problem.
- Analyze the effect that this legislation has had on the consumer challenge.
- Uses APA style for your citations and references.