- Analyze whether poverty is a cause of poor health in a community or whether poor health is a cause of poverty.
- Analyze some of the health issues found in a community of lower-socioeconomic status as well as the health issues found in communities of higher socioeconomic status.
- Discuss the differences and similarities between the issues found in both communities.
- Utilize at least two scholarly sources, in addition to the course text, to support your points.
- Describe which currently has the largest impact on the nation’s health: infectious diseases or chronic diseases?
- Explain your response using epidemiological measures and supportive evidence from academic research.
- Analyze how public health upholds individual rights while protecting societal rights through prevention strategies of both types of diseases (e.g., adding fluoride to the water to reduce dental carries).
- Discuss the ethical issues associated with the role of public health in protecting societal rights as well as individual rights.
Utilize at least two scholarly sources (one could be the textbook) to support your points.
Epidemiology is the study of epidemics. More specifically, it is the study of the occurrence and distribution of health problems. Using any of the epidemiological techniques outlined in the chapters from this week’s reading, address the questions for one of the case studies outlined below.
- Epidemiological Case #1: Gastroenteritis at a University in Texas
- Epidemiological Case #2: Norovirus in Vermont
There are two parts to this assignment:
Part I: Provide a brief statement of the investigative issue. Describe the epidemiological steps you would take by addressing the questions asked within the case study you select.
Part II: Address the questions noted at the end of your selected case study. Your paper should be at least four pages in length, but can exceed this depending on how much detail you provide on the epidemiological steps you take for your case. You should use at least one additional scholarly source in addition to the textbook.